According to the U.S. Fire Administration, fires cause around 6.6 billion dollars in damage and 2,560 deaths each year. Everyone has a stake in fire safety since lives are involved. Homeowners cannot stay in the sidelines anymore since anything in the home can fuel a fire and every stove, lighter, gas connection, and candle serve as a spark for a conflagration.
Here is a simple laundry list of tips in order to protect your home from fires:
- Invest in a fire alarm system in your home. Install a fire alarm for every bedroom in the house. For fuller protection, add carbon monoxide alarms for every level of your house.
- Replace the batteries of your fire alarms every 8 – 10 months.
- Routinely perform inspections of your alarm system and see if each one is properly working.
- Never leave the kitchen if you’re cooking something.
- Keep the kitchen counter where your stove is clear of any rubbish.
- Use only the appropriate fuel for your stoves.
- Don’t wear long sleeve shirts while cooking to avoid catching fire.
- Be vigilant when cooking something in oil. Understand the smoke point of the oils you are using to keep them from boiling.
- Always grill outside of the home.
- Never leave kids or pets alone with candles or stoves.
- Keep wooden furniture at least three feet away from fireplaces.
- Have professional chimney sweeps clean your fireplace once a year.
- Make sure that there are secondary exits for each bedroom in case a fire breaks out.
- Create a solid fire escape plan and practice scenarios.
- Establish a meeting outside point where people should converge during a fire.
- Subscribe to a fire monitoring service.
In case your home encounters a fire and you need professional fire restoration assistance, you can get in touch with Mackenzie Restoration. Mackenzie Restoration is a leading restorations services provider in the San Antonio, TX area. If you need help with water damage or your house is suffering from mold or asbestos or any other environmental issue, you can rely on Mackenzie to help you. Please get in touch with us at our 210-732-7319 number and through the contact form in any of our pages.
We restore not just homes but lives.